Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Why do we call ourselves Web Masters?

Webmaster title should be banned. "webmistress" gender-specific bias at Wiki.

The definition of "Webmaster" from webopedia.com - is an individual who manages a Web site. Depending on the size of the site, the Webmasters might be responsible for any of the following making sure that the Web server hardware and software is running properly, designing the Web site, creating and updating Web pages, Replying to user feedback, Creating CGI scripts, Monitoring Traffic through the site.

The definition sounds so lame, boring and non-technical. The term WEBMASTER really irks me. When I look at the bottom of the page of a website and see "Web Master", I laugh. It sounds like a term we would use back in the nineteenth century. I refuse to place the WEBMASTER link at the bottom of my webpages. I protest. I do not consider myself a Webmaster. I am a Web Technologist. I certainly manage more than one website and have more tasks than described. And I do not want to be called a Master I am a web technologist!

Here is a part of the definition of "Webmaster" at the I found at the Wikipedia website:

Use of the term "webmistress"

"Because some perceive a gender-specific bias present in the "master" part of the term webmaster, some women choose to use the feminine term webmistress as the name of their profession, although many do this only informally, and some find the term offensive and not suitable for the workplace. Its use is often an ironic, tongue-in-cheek play on the word mistress in the BDSM sense. However, it is just as often used in the sense of being an in-control, dominant woman in a field largely populated by men."

The title Webmaster is old fashion and should be phased out. Webmaster, Webmistress this is ridiculous. The "Webmaster" term is gender-specific biased and not a good tag name for a 21st century job. My vote is for Web Technologist!

My "web technologist" description (at the top of the page) is my draft definition, I would like for others to add to what they think the definition should be. We will combine ideas and then present it to Wiki. If someone can post the definition of "Web Technologist" on Wiki as a final draft I would appreciate it. This is just a pet peeve of mine. What do you think about it? Let me know your comments and feel free to add your definition ideas of Web Technologist.

Sincerely,
WebMaster

Web Technologist

There is only one Master.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is ridiculous that we have a gender-specific bias name for a 21st century job.

Here is part of the definition at wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmaster
Use of the term "webmistress"

Because some perceive a gender-specific bias present in the "master" part of the term webmaster, some women choose to use the feminine term webmistress as the name of their profession, although many do this only informally, and some find the term offensive and not suitable for the workplace. Its use is often an ironic, tongue-in-cheek play on the word mistress in the BDSM sense. However, it is just as often used in the sense of being an in-control, dominant woman in a field largely populated by men.

My vote is for Web Technologist!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home